Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Amy

Sold
Two and a half years ago while living in Atlanta - in the south where I had always lived - I thought it impossible to jog in the snow.  As a matter of fact, knowing that we were moving, I purchased a yoga dvd thinking I would be forced into an indoor workout throughout the entire winter.  Would I have believed I could actually LOVE jogging in the snow?  Never!

This morning I headed out for my cold winter jog.  It's now my third winter here and I actually had high hopes that this day might bring my first snow jog of this winter.  Towards the end, as I made my way back home, I started thinking about how lucky I was for this change in my life.  Suddenly, on cue, the snow came falling down in those big fluffy swirling magical flakes.  I was reminded on my snowy lakefront path, that the impossibility of the unknown can actually be an unknown joy, just waiting to be found.  

So, being inspired with positive thoughts of change, I decided this would be the perfect day to show the newest change in my subject matter.  "Amy" is actually the very first of this series, and although I have completed several now, she's the one that seemed perfectly dressed for today's silvery, snowy day.  

14 comments:

Joan Breckwoldt said...

All I can say is "WOW" and I wish I could make that WOW in about 72 pt type! This painting is MASTERFUL! I can't wait to see more, you are an inspiration.
Joan

Kate Lewis said...

Well done, Karen!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE IT!!!

I also love the post. Those big flakes are magical indeed.

Anonymous said...

Being a guy, I feel like an orphan here. Nice work, anyway, Karen. But I wanted to comment on jogging in the snow as well.

If I could do it I probably would. Physically, I'm not able to do that sort of thing. But I would say GO FOR IT! Why? Because I know it can be done, even if I can't do it. We had a guy locally who would jog year-round, no matter what the weather. i'm talking about here in MAINE! AND, he did it without wearing a shirt!! He just wore shorts and running shoes. The coldest day I ever saw him out it was 14 degrees!

Now I'm not recommending that, just to go for it in the snow if you want. My joints won't allow me to do it at any time of the year. So I envy you.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Karen, my heart leapt for joy when I read your post this morning. How inspiring your words are. I love how the timing of your thoughts and those first snow flakes came together to confirm the beauty of change.

"Amy" is masterful. I especially like how the spots of paint come together on those metal balls that snap the purse shut. What are those called...
Anyway, here's to new beginnings!

Karen Appleton said...

Joan,
THANK YOU THANK YOU, and I wish I could make my thank you in 72 pt type. It made me feel tremendous and so encouraged to see your response, thank you so!

Debbie you are too kind! I see from your paintings lately snow isn't a stranger to you either!

Kate, love the way your latest painting is coming along, I am looking forward to seeing it person soon! Thanks for the props! :)

Yea! Jennifer, thanks for actually reading my crazy rantings!! Ha!

Brain, oh noooo, please do not feel like and orphan, you are very much a wanted and appreciated voice on this blog!! Nothing could be more appreciated here than a diverse bit of feedback! Your comment makes me realize how much more I have to be thankful for too! 14 degrees burrrr! Thank you Brain for your comment!

Silvina,
My sweet friend! I promise, I'm not even embellishing the story to make it sound better, the timing was perfect. Don't you just love it when those moments happen! Is it called a clasp??? I'm not sure either! I guess I better find out.

Karen

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Karen,
Just had to come back to take another look and to study this amazing painting a little more . . .
Joan

Helen Read said...

"Amy" is delightful! Karen, you always capture the beauty - even thru its simplicity - of your subject! I love it! :)

Karen Appleton said...

Joan, thank you again, but WOW (in 72pt type) on the portrait you did of your kids!

Helen, thank you so much!

Edgar said...

Karen,
I just dropped by from a link at Silvina's site, where I'm a regular.

These works, of containers and hidden promise are... shall I say, "Full of intrigue."

I'll be back to see your next one. Good work!

Unknown said...

Karen, your paintings are truly a gift in my inbox!

Helen Read said...

Happy New Year, Karen.... looking forward to your next posting! :)

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

where are you? This is great.

Alia El-Bermani said...

Karen, this is a beautiful painting, and although I too am NOT a purse girl, I would buy this painting!!! I am in love with Amy. Beautiful! Happy Painting.