Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two shows this weekend

Some of you might remember our first Continuing On exhibit in 2010 - post and pictures from that show can be seen HERE

This Saturday we celebrate again our friendship and artwork with
Continuing On and On ...

Also view our Facebook event page HERE

Unfortunately, my camera picked the absolute worst time to die!


and because of this costly little incident you might also remember ....

I must rely completely on my phone's camera!

We began installing the show yesterday and I am very excited to share a new piece I've been working on....


A life size dress made entirely of paint and painting medium!

Anyone in the Chicago area please join us this Saturday night!

And as incredible as it is, I am honored to participate in a show which also opens this Saturday at
  Ann Street Gallery in Newburgh, NY.

The show is, Gendered Object: Barbie As Art
so you guessed it...

 "Pink Cupcake"


put her traveling clothes on and will be showing though June 30th.
She is thrilled!

8 comments:

kayce hughes said...

Wish I could be there!
I hope that you have fun and sell a ton!

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, Good luck in your upcoming show-- Your paintings are always amazing and that red dress is very cool! I enjoy keeping up with you through your blog- I follow you through bloglovin'. I've kept on painting ever since you inspired me in your classes several years ago at Spruill Arts Center in Atlanta. Wishing you continued success~ Leigh Slingluff

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

What a clever way to say goodbye to your camera. Hope you got a good price for it. The treasured dog is worth any sacrifice.
Good luck with your show and the red dress amazes me and is it truly made out of paint? Did you use acrylic skins?

Anonymous said...

How did you make the dress? It's so awesome.
Everyone will LOVE your Barbie painting.

Mary

Karen Appleton said...

Hi Julie,
Thank you! And yes, he is definitely worth it!! :) the dress is made from acrylic paint "skins." I hung the dress from a plaster bust form I made so the dress would have form, but it is entirely shaped out of paint.
Thank you for commenting!

Karen Appleton said...

Thank you Kayce!! Maybe I could pattern my next paint dress after one of your beautiful designs!

Karen Appleton said...

Thank you so much Leigh!! What a huge compliment! I am so glad to see your latest paintings and blog!

Karen Appleton said...

Thank you Mary!! I made the dress from acrylic paint, which is flexible when it dries. I made sections of paint that I allowed to dry then painted the sections together. My next post will hopefully explain this dress a bit more. Thank you for asking!